Sunday, June 10, 2012

sew crazy!

This was when we went to a grad celebratory lunch last week. Belle wore this dress that I made for her on her 2nd bday. It still fits....a lil too short now (could even be pulled off as a tunic) but it still fits! And she loves it more than she did then. At home, she'd stand in front of the mirror to twirl...just to see the dress puff up like an umbrella. I had to give her a bath before bed, but to get her out of it , I promised I'd make her more similar dresses. But at the time I honestly didn't mean it. haha. Just said it to get her into her pjs!

Next morning, while staring at piles of extra/leftover fabric taking up precious closet space....light bulb moment. Needed to get rid of those fabrics...& a few summer pieces for Belle would be the great solution.
I used the same pattern as the blue dress. With a few tweaks....like a much longer hem! This may be my favorite dress I sewed....really happy that it turned out the way I pictured it.
And the thing with me....If I have a successful project, I can't stop. I have the itch to do another one!Belle is lacking "home shorts". She needs simple shorts for summer to be worn at home. I saw cute ones at Target but refused to buy them cause I feel they're overpriced. I have 2 different elastic pant patterns from sewing books...so I experimented with them. The black ones came out better than the multi colored. I'm not satisfied with the fit...they're a little bunchy in the front. I gotta experiment more. But the perfectionist inside me doesn't mind cause these shorts were intended to be worn at home. They don't need to be perfect...they just need to function for Belle's busy legs.

"Belle can you stand still for a second so I can take a picture of your shorts?"
"How about I run for your picture?"
"Belle! Just for a second please!!!"
*click* ...and then she runs away again. 
She's not a fan of modeling. She can't stand still!!

I have more fabric, & saw this cute top pattern from a japanese sewing book.
(note: standing still for a picture because of bribery with a lollipop)
Satisfied with it..but I think the sleeves should a tad bit wider. Other than that, I'm happy! Thank goodness those Japanese books have clear pictures for instruction. Cause I obviously can't read Japanese!

A few weeks ago, I saw a tutorial to sew a layered tiered skirt here. (The link is for a great blog with good clear tutorials for lots of children clothes & sewing techniques for anyone new to sewing!) 
When I found this lightweight striped fabric in my stash, it reminded me of that skirt tutorial. I coincidentally have the same one!! AND...I only had enough to make the tiers for the skirt. It was a sign.
Belle loves skirts...Any article of clothing that will make her feel like a ballerina or princess, she loves. Ruffles are easy & all little girls love them. It's an easy way to give something simple the little "umph". So I doubt this ruffle thing won't be the last. 

And I still have more fabric!!! Figuring out what to do next.... I think I'm just shocked at myself that I didn't make any trip to the fabric store during my sewing bonanza. I have more ideas... but with fabrics I don't have. I really need to learn how to use up all my fabrics before I buy more...doing ok so far! But don't know how long that will last. haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment